Thursday, June 30, 2005

All junk and no freshness makes Matt a nauseous boy

Lately I have been having some rumblings in my tummy. I get nauseous a lot easier than I used to. For instance, I will eat a small bag of chips and wash it down with a 20 oz Mountain Dew, and after a few minutes of happy energy, I feel somewhat queasy and lethargic. Or take last week -- I was extremely tired and I had been downing Mountain Dew and Red Bull all day, as well as eating unhealthy crap. I met someone for drinks that night, and instead of making me feel euphoric, the drinks made me pretty damn nauseous. I skipped quite dramatically over the tipsy phase, going straight from paying-the-bartender to closing-my-eyes-and-willing-myself-not-to-be-sick. And it wasn't like I had a lot to drink either -- just two drinks! This was not enough to inebriate me, but it was enough to upset my stomach verily.

What gives? Well, as much as I would love to cogitate upon the mystery, I am afraid I can cut to the rather self-evident answer: I am eating poorly, and reaping the consequences. Instead of eating healthy chicken dishes with whole grains and a light sauce, I am eating fat-laden toasted subs from Quiznos with unhealthy processed carbs, a bag of chips, and a 20-or-more ounce Mountain Dew. Instead of getting 7-8 hours of sleep a night, I am lucky if I get five. Very importantly, instead of drinking at least 8-10 glasses of water throughout the day PLUS enough water to compensate for the dehydrating effects of my sodas, I drink almost no water during the day, and only partially make up for it in the evening, by drinking maybe 20 or 30 ounces. This isn't even enough to offset the diuretic effects of multiple daily Dews.

I have to change this. I simply cannot go through life getting queasy at inopportune moments. The momentary pleasure I get from forbidden foods does not outweigh the nausea I get from eating wrong.

A friend of mine has kept a healthy diet and regular exercise schedule all year, and has lost over 55 pounds because of it. She keeps an online fitness blog called, fittingly enough, Down 55.

At the rate I'm going, I should probably rename my blog Up 20.

No comments:

Post a Comment


http://physicsdiet.com/chart.ashx?t=weightloss&s=2011-10-31&u=ztrawhcs