Tuesday, April 01, 2008

I ran my practice 5K in 28 minutes!!!

Friends, I am absolutely thrilled to be able to report that this morning I donned my questionable running shoes, drove to the Washington Monument, and proceeded to line up at what will be the starting line of this Sunday's 5K. I was loaded with caffeine, and fairly excited to see that the course was as flat as mapmyrun.com predicted.

Armed with nothing but shoes and a will to run without stopping, I toed the line, free of any GPS technology, and -- on my mark -- get set -- GO!

I took off at an extreme pace... and all of the tight calf problems I have been having seemed to magically disappear! Pleased, I decided to throw pacing out the window, and just see how fast I could git this thing done. At the halfway mark, I looked at my watch and was SHOCKED to see that only 15 minutes had passed -- and I was still filled with energy!! Remembering that Diana likes to aim for negative splits, I decided I would attempt the same, and instead of lengthening my stride, I followed Galloway's advice to quicken my turnover.

It worked.

As I approached the finish, which on Sunday will have a banner over it but today was just covered by an imaginary banner in my mind, I couldn't believe that I was under 30 minutes. And not just by a few seconds, but by a few minutes! As I passed under the imaginary banner, I stopped the timer on my watch, and looked down:

28:13

Ladies and Gentlemen, although I am still waiting for the runner's high, I finished that run in a state of euphoria. I can't believe I ran a 5K in 28 minutes!!!!! If I can do that on only a couple months of training, imagine how strong and fast I'll be by the time next year!

Here is a picture of me at the finish line. I can't wait to repeat this showing at Sunday's race. Thank you all for your kind words and support so far.

2 comments:

  1. OH MY GOD!! Remember exactly what you did today and repeat it this weekend! That sounds like an awesome run, and I'm glad you took Galloways turnover advice, it's really true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG. I just now clicked the link of "you at the finish line."

    GRRRRR........

    ReplyDelete


http://physicsdiet.com/chart.ashx?t=weightloss&s=2011-10-31&u=ztrawhcs